On Monday, June 1, Mrs. Bjorklund, Head of Lower Campus at PBDA, hosted another #MakeSomethingMonday segment on PBDA’s Instagram Live. Bjorklund invited her live audience onto her outdoor patio where she had prepared the three simple components needed to create the perfect summer dessert – Strawberry Shortcake.
Happy summer, Bulldogs!
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 2 pints of fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar, or more to taste
- 4 cups flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups butter
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sugar
- Fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut strawberries and mix with sugar to release some of their juices.
- Mix together flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, salt and baking powder. Knead in 3/4 cup of cold butter. Add 1¼ cups buttermilk, and mix. If mixture is too wet, add flour. If mixture is too dry, add more buttermilk. Roll out dough to about 1/2-inch thickness. Using a biscuit cutter, cut out rounds.
- Place rounds on a baking sheet. Brush the tops with a little melted butter or egg wash. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Beat cream until it thickens. Add vanilla and sugar. Beat again just until thick.
- Cut a biscuit in half. Top both sides with the strawberry mixture, whipped cream, and a few mint leaves.