Written by Annette Colon, Lower Campus Arts Teacher
Wow, I can’t believe summer is almost over! I am excited to see all my amazing artists after a long spring and summer apart. If you are like me, you need something to keep you busy until school begins again. To help pass the time, I’m excited to share with you an arts and crafts tutorial that you can either do by yourself or with your family as a way to pass the time until school starts again. If you’re looking for additional craft ideas, be sure to check out my Origami Bookmarks tutorial from this past Spring!
We would love to see what you create so don’t forget to tag us @palmbeachday if posting on social media!
DIY Lava Lamp
To make your own lava lamp at home, you will need the following:
- Clear water bottle or jar (I recommend plastic for young kids)
- Vegetable oil
- Food coloring (no gel) or liquid watercolors
- One Alka Seltzer tablet, or baking soda and vinegar
- Optional: glitter, beads, shells, pebbles, or any other knickknacks
- Fill around ¾ or ½ of your bottle with vegetable oil.
- Add around ¼ of water to the bottle.
- Add a few drops of food coloring or liquid watercolors. (Remember, gel food coloring does not work!)
- Embellish with glitter and knickknacks, if desired.
- Add ¼ of an Alka Seltzer tablet, OR add a little vinegar and baking soda. Give it a minute to react, if it doesn’t, add a little more. It is better to go little by little.