Director of Philanthropy
Palm Beach Day Academy seeks an experienced development professional to oversee the following: leadership and major gift prospect management, annual philanthropy, and fundraising events.
Successful candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3+ years of experience in fundraising/fund development, public relations, leadership in the nonprofit sector, or in sales; combination of education and experience considered.
- Documented experience interfacing with multiple constituencies.
- Strong oral, written and interpersonal skills. A comfort level with in-person and/or virtual engagement is required.
- Computer skills to include Microsoft Office, Microsoft Publisher, and other windows based software; experience with fundraising-specific software preferred.
This individual will work closely daily with Palm Beach Day Academy’s Head of School, and will interface regularly with its Board of Trustees and other internal leadership and key volunteers. The Director will be charged with fostering and maximizing a culture of philanthropy and philanthropic investments to Palm Beach Day Academy.
Primary Responsibilities of the Director (not limited to the following):
- Build and manage relationships with and solicit support from constituents including parents grandparents, past parents / grandparents, alumni and community members; build & utilize a portfolio of prospects to move towards solicitation and stewardship stages.
- Oversee and manage all fundraising activities associated with major & principal gifts, annual fund appeals, and fundraising events, with a daily focus on major & principal gift donor movement.
- This includes serving as a lead for any campaigns during planning, silent and public stages of such initiatives.
- Oversight of annual fund and event centered work could involve potentially building a team of 1 to 2 direct-reports to execute this work.
- Maintain informational databases on individuals, families and corporate donors, including details on movements from prospect portfolios.
- Produce reports for the Head of School, internal leadership and Board of Trustees to demonstrate prospect movement, annual & major gift goals, and progress on goals-to-date.
- Hold weekly prospect management sessions with the Head of School and any necessary and/or relevant internal leadership, board or committee members, and other key volunteers to strategize on solicitations.
- Strategize with the Head of School and other leadership on building out different aspects of the development program, with the intention to potentially grow the team and set clear goals.
- Utilize email to inform constituents and/or the general public of current development related events.
- Work with Marketing and Communications staff on production of all major development publications, focusing on relevant campaigns and leadership relationships.
- This position is salaried/exempt/12 months and includes off business hours (occasional evenings/weekends) as events dictate. Full health/medical/retirement/paid vacation benefits are available.
To be considered for the position, please provide a cover letter, resume, and 3 letters of professional recommendation via email to email@example.com. We accept resumes on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The expected start date is flexible. Resumes will be reviewed weekly. Competitive candidates will be contacted within 2 weeks of resume submission to participate in a phone screen. Phone interviews may be conducted by engaged development consultants. Semi-finalists will participate in Zoom interviews with key stakeholders. Finalists will be invited for an interview on campus, provided that travel restrictions are lifted and a safe interview process can be guaranteed.
Palm Beach Day Academy, established in 1921, is an independent co-educational school, serving over four hundred students from Pre-Primary (2-year-olds) to Grade 9. The school has two campuses with nearly one hundred faculty members. The Lower Campus overlooks the water in West Palm Beach, and the Upper Campus is located on the island of Palm Beach and just one block from the Atlantic Ocean. Palm Beach Day Academy prides itself on its strong sense of community. Teachers and families work as a team, which allows the teachers to foster a learning-rich environment and focus on developing the whole child. The foundation of Palm Beach Day Academy’s program is the education of our students in an academically challenging and compassion-rich environment that guides each child toward personal excellence of mind, body and character. At all levels, our students are, as our mission states, challenged to excel, empowered to act, and prepared to lead. Approaching its 100 year anniversary, PBDA’s leadership is mindful of its proud history and vision for the future, including the continued focus areas of teaching, developing and inspiring children to be prepared and successful as people and students. This special time in the school’s history positions incoming development leadership to have unique opportunities to help set the school’s course for the next century.